Petrolo Bòggina B is produced with 100% Trebbiano Toscano. The Valdarno clone is known for its quality since 1300, when it was regularly sent to the popes of Rome and to the courts of Florence. Petrolo has been using Trebbiano grapes for its vinsanto for decades, but owner Luca Sanjust decided it was time for a tribute to the great whites of the Valdarno past.
La Bòggina is the oldest vineyard of the Petrolo Estate. Planted in 1952 by the owner’s grandfather Luca Sanjust. The plant has a density of 5,500 vines per hectare and is trained with spurred cordon. The yield per plant is remarkably low (max 2.5 kg per vine), allowing a concentration of all the noble components of the grape, essential for the full-bodied character of this wine.
Manual harvest in crates. Grape selection and sorting table. Soft pressing and natural vinification with indigenous yeasts in barrique. Aging on the lees for over 15 months in French oak tonneaux.
Petrolo is the definition of a cult winery, with an owner and history that helped create its legendary status. The estate’s reference wine, Merlot Galatrona, deservedly receives awards after awards from the press and is part of the history of the Tuscan quality revolution in the late 1980s and 1990s.
Although practically unknown even in the world of wine, the Valdarno di Sopra appellation dates back to the times of the Medici family during the Renaissance, and the area has always been renowned for the winemaking potential of the small area of Tuscany near the Chianti in which it is located.
Petrolo was purchased in the 1940s by Gastone Bazzocchi, who was the first to start growing high quality Sangiovese-based wines on the farm. His grandson, Luca Sanjust, brought the winery to today’s cult status. An art scholar and successful painter in his own right, Luca decided to change his course in the early 1980s and has since dedicated his time and passion to Petrolo.